Thursday, July 31, 2014

1000 cousins in Auzillac, France

After the tragic departure of my third farm, I made it back to Pete and Sue's for the biggest 60th birthday party I've ever seen!
Everyone writes in this book before they leave the farm. I added this ;)
Pete opening presents before a ton of people arrived. There were 8 of us and over a few days it grew to 100! This picture is the calm before the storm.
Brendan, Greg, and James barbecuing for 60.
Marsha: treasurer, food auctioneer, and dish finisher. Amazing all around!
Most interesting couple? My cousin, James, and his girlfriend, Becky. Thanks for the fun times! Becky says the American accent sounds like everything is our best friend ;)
Personal pizzas in the bread oven for 60? Worked perfectly! Delicious! 
Nick didn't like tuna. We made him try it. There was about an hour of yelling in between, though. A very animated and entertaining discussion ;)
We went through a lot of bread. A. Lot.
We played magic games and lifted Tom.
Everyone stepped up and helped prepare, cook, serve, and clean up. Nice team work!
There was a plethora of pool time. It was fun seeing what interesting shades of red the English turn ;) James said every day, "I don't burn." Or Greg said, "it'll turn tan tomorrow, 24-48 hours, 72 hours for sure, 96 hours!"
The main party!
James, Jonny, and Jess gave an amazing toast speech for Pete's (their dad) birthday. It was very touching and funny. There were tears.
This is what happens if Journey starts playing.
We piled up as many chicken bones onto Becky's plate while she wasn't looking. She loved it.
The MASSIVE cake.
Jess's barn where 11 of us slept. We made it work!
The morning after ;) We had a great crew of early risers tackle this.
Brendan and Marsha took tons of photos throughout the weekend. I can't wait to see those! This was the lunch before most of the folks left.
Then we pulled out the slack line. It is NOT as easy as it looks, but we all had a great time!
Wall climbing before dinner
Fires and stories after dinner
A couple photos that Claire posted to Facebook. I didn't have space to pack a dress for 6 months of farmwork, so I'm in jeans... But everyone in this photo rocks!
James let me borrow this hat so I looked even more American than before, thanks James!

Today the last group of us went to a waterfall with a rock to jump off of and a natural waterfall slide. We had a picnic there and enjoyed the sun. A nice last day :)

I had an absolute blast the entire time. I met so many fily members that I never knew before. It seems crazy now, because after only a day, I felt like I knew everyone for ages. Thanks for the memories, and I'll be back for sure!

Returning to the first farm tomorrow morning. Barbara didn't tell the girls and I do love surprises!

No comments:

Post a Comment